Adrian Perks – Horizon Power customer
Condingup, 68 kilometres east of Esperance, Western Australia
Crop farmer Adrian Perks and his family crop 4,000 hectares of farmland 68 kilometres east of Esperance. Located on a lengthy distribution spur line, power outages and fluctuations were frequent.
As crop farmers, having power poles and wires running through their paddocks presented a number of issues and hazards including:
- Farm machinery colliding with power poles, particularly during seeding and harvesting when machines operate at night, risking:
- peoples’ safety
- machinery damage
- power pole damage
- Ongoing pest control and weed management requirements as part of needing to leave a two to three metre buffer around each pole.
- Pole top fires caused by:
- dust on the wires
- extreme weather events
- bird collisions
- Aerial sprayers clipping power lines.
Design and deploy a customised Stand-alone Power System (SAPS) combining solar photovoltaic panels, advanced battery storage technology and back-up generation to power:
- Worker’s accommodation
Specifications: R-Series SAPS
- 16.2 kW of solar panels
- 25.2 kWh of battery storage
- 15 kVA of back-up diesel generation